We are living and breathing in an information age. For many segments of society, the Internet has already changed how people work, think, communicate, or even socialize. Many of the changes can be attributed to information systems that now operate very widely over the Internet and Intranets. With the widespread commercial availability of computing technologies and machinery, information systems have been the dominant application area of computing. All present day organizations have come to rely on information systems for their day-to-day operation, planning, and decision making. Effective use of information technologies has become a critical success factor in modern society. BS-IT degree is unique blend of information systems and information technology in one program. The program is focused more on practical applications of technology and information systems to support organizations while adding value to their products and offerings.
The degree offers courses across the complete spectrum of IT, ranging from non-technical areas such as the nature of information and organizational needs for IT, through the hardware, software, network and multimedia technologies which are used to satisfy these needs, to the development and management skills needed to create and implement computer-based information systems.
A major goal of this program is to produce graduates who can satisfy the industry needs of incorporating
enterprise-wide information systems (e.g. SAP R/3 ERP). The curriculum of BS-IT aims to achieve
simultaneously the following educational goals and outcomes:
- Equip the students with fundamental and advanced concepts of Information Systems with particular emphasis on the application of these concepts to further advance the state of art technology and to meet the needs of growing IT industry.
- Understand the business processes and identify the needed IT resources including hardware, software and communication technologies
- Plan, select, integrate, deploy, manage and support the required IT resources
- To impart effective leadership and decision-making skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively and to function on multidisciplinary teams;
- Ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing and understand professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and their responsibilities as IT professionals.
Why degree in Information Technology
Information Technology (IT) are a multi-faceted field, and require multi-disciplinary perspectives. In order to apply technology effectively, a broad range of subjects are covered, such as web technologies, multimedia and database systems, business management technology , data communication and networking, software design, and enterprisewide solution development. The practice-based curriculum of BS-IT prepares graduates to work in IT departments of corporate and manufacturing sector entities. Their role is to conceive, design and implement IT solutions to business and management problems. The program is highly demanding and prepares students to take any challenging role as IT professional or Information Systems Expert.
Graduates from the course will have the knowledge and skills needed to use IT effectively and to use, develop and manage IT-based systems. The breadth and strong practical emphasis of the course will prepare graduates for careers working with information and IT in a wide range of positions in business, government and industry both local and international. Graduates may enter a variety of roles such as:
- Manager Information Systems
- Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Network Administrator
- IT Consultant
- Enterprise-wide Solution Developer
- Enterprise-wide Information System Architect
Area Of Specialization
The degree structure provides the greatest possible flexibility, and gives students the broadest possible range of options from which to choose their areas of specializations. The students may opt for breadth in their studies by taking courses across a wide range of IST aspects, or they may decide to focus their studies by completing one or two majors which suit their interests and skills. In the final year all students are required to do a substantive individual project. This is accompanied by taught modules concerning strategic management for information systems and business analysis, project management and human-computer interaction. There is a wide range of
options from across the final year computing courses together with modern languages. Majors offered include
- Business Management Information Systems
- Enterprise-wide Information Systems Development and Management
- Manufacturing Information Systems
- Information Systems Architecture, Automation and Integration
- Medical Information Systems
- Educational Information Systems
All applications are evaluated on the basis of merit as determined by their previous academic record and performance in admission test.
A prospective applicant must have:
a. Intermediate or equivalent (12 years) qualification with minimum 50% marks both in matriculation and Intermediate.
b. In case of O Level, A Level, American High School Diploma or any other equivalent foreign qualification, an equivalence certificate from IBCC is mandatory.
c. In case the foreign diploma/transcript is in any language other than English or Urdu, an officially translated copy of the diploma/transcript is mandatory.
d. An officially translated copy is the one verified by the degree awarding institution, respective foreign ministry or an authorized public notary.
e. 50% passing marks in NAT/Admission Test and Interview are required for admission.